When the world gets closer.

We help you see farther.

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter.

Polish flag at a Nov. 11 march in Warsaw
Polish flag at a Nov. 11 march in Warsaw
Lukasz Woznicki

-Analysis-

WARSAW — In Poland, hatred is clearly fueling violence. But after six racist attacks were registered in a four-day period, this was the reaction from the country's Interior Minister: ""There is no racism in Poland.""

The victims of these attacks are foreigners from the Polish cities of Wrocław, Legnica. Lublin and Ozorków. Four kebab bars were attacked. "We need the government to react," pleads Rafał Dutkiewicz, the mayor of Wrocław, the largest city in western Poland. "In Poland we have no problem with hatred," responds Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Błaszczak.

The attacks were apparently spurred by the the New Year's killing of a 21-year-from the mid-sized city of Ełk after an argument in front of the kebab bar; the suspected killer is of Tunisian origin. What followed first was a mass online attack on Muslims. But the racists did not actually need an excuse to attack foreigners since the first racist attack in the New Year happened before the Elk attack had been broadcast by the media.

On New Year's Eve in Lublin two young men smashed window at the Superkebab bar and wrote ""F**k ISIS"" and ""F**k Islam"" on the shop's walls, doors and windows. "Already a week ago somebody came here and called us names. We were threatened," said the owner Shully Parvez.

Last Sunday, the violence escalated in Ełk. Hundreds of residents met in front of the Prince Kebab bar, where the New Year's killing took place. According to the prosecutor, the owner of the bar — an Algerian and a Tunisian worker ran after a man who had stolen two bottles of Coca-Cola. The Tunisian is accused of stabbing the man three times.

Source: kh hot news

A vigil for the victim quickly descended into riots, as the crowd began to smash windows and destroy the bar's interior, chanting threats against immigrants. Another bar attack followed the next night. A masked man smashed a window at the Kebab House bar in Wrocław. The shop's manager, a non-Muslim named Serdar Darwish from Kurdistan, said that all Poles think that kebab shops are run by Muslims.

Worse in France or Germany?

Last Monday night, four men started shouting "Osama, Osama" at a resident of Ozorków, Pakistani-born Asmat Ullah. He would wind up in the hospital. "I did not understand what they wanted," Ullah recalled. "They asked whether I was a Muslim. When I said yes, they started to beat me."

On Tuesday night another kebab shop in Wrocław was attacked. Dutkiewicz, mayor of Wrocław, condemned the attacks. ""I do not accept racist and xenophobic behavior in our city," he said. "I want every resident of Wrocław to feel safe, regardless of where they come from."" He asked the police for more intense prevention and rapid pursuit of the suspects. ""I have this very strong feeling that something wrong is going on in Poland," Dutkiewicz said.

But the reaction from Warsaw that local leaders are seeking has not arrived. On Wednesday, Interior Minister Błaszczak offered this analysis: "Hate crimes are very marginal in Poland," he said. "It's much worse outside our borders. In Germany and France they have those kind of problems, the consequence of multicultural politics, political correctness and opening the borders in Germany and France for the influx of refugees from Middle East and North Africa."

You've reached your monthly limit of free articles.
To read the full article, please subscribe.
Get unlimited access. Support Worldcrunch's unique mission:
  • Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.
  • Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries
  • $2.90/month or $19.90/year. No hidden charges. Cancel anytime.
Already a subscriber? Log in

When the world gets closer, we help you see farther

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
Geopolitics

New Probe Finds Pro-Bolsonaro Fake News Dominated Social Media Through Campaign

Ahead of Brazil's national elections Sunday, the most interacted-with posts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Telegram and WhatsApp contradict trustworthy information about the public’s voting intentions.

Jair Bolsonaro bogus claims perform well online

Cris Faga/ZUMA
Laura Scofield and Matheus Santino

SÂO PAULO — If you only got your news from social media, you might be mistaken for thinking that Jair Bolsonaro is leading the polls for Brazil’s upcoming presidential elections, which will take place this Sunday. Such a view flies in the face of what most of the polling institutes registered with the Superior Electoral Court indicate.

An exclusive investigation by the Brazilian investigative journalism agency Agência Pública has revealed how the most interacted-with and shared posts in Brazil on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Telegram and WhatsApp share data and polls that suggest victory is certain for the incumbent Bolsonaro, as well as propagating conspiracy theories based on false allegations that research institutes carrying out polling have been bribed by Bolsonaro’s main rival, former president Luís Inácio Lula da Silva, or by his party, the Workers’ Party.

Agência Pública’s reporters analyzed the most-shared posts containing the phrase “pesquisa eleitoral” [electoral polls] in the period between the official start of the campaigning period, on August 16, to September 6. The analysis revealed that the most interacted-with and shared posts on social media spread false information or predicted victory for Jair Bolsonaro.

Keep reading...Show less

When the world gets closer, we help you see farther

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
You've reached your monthly limit of free articles.
To read the full article, please subscribe.
Get unlimited access. Support Worldcrunch's unique mission:
  • Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.
  • Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries
  • $2.90/month or $19.90/year. No hidden charges. Cancel anytime.
Already a subscriber? Log in
THE LATEST
FOCUS
TRENDING TOPICS

Central to the tragic absurdity of this war is the question of language. Vladimir Putin has repeated that protecting ethnic Russians and the Russian-speaking populations of Ukraine was a driving motivation for his invasion.

Yet one month on, a quick look at the map shows that many of the worst-hit cities are those where Russian is the predominant language: Kharkiv, Odesa, Kherson.

Watch VideoShow less
MOST READ