Sources

In Weinstein Aftermath, New Death Threats For Charlie Hebdo

Reading Charlie Hebdo's Nov. 1 issue
Reading Charlie Hebdo's Nov. 1 issue

-Analysis-

Charlie Hebdo is facing another existential moment — and Harvey Weinstein is partly responsible. The surviving members of the French satirical weekly might appreciate the twisted irony. Less than three years after the terror attack that killed 12 members of its staff, Charlie has been receiving very explicit death threats after a cartoon they published on their cover last week took ribald aim at a prominent Islamist scholar. Le Monde reports Tuesday that among the messages delivered across social media the past few days: "We're gonna cut your throats," "Second round coming up for Charlie," and "If nobody decides to go, I'll go myself …"

Both long before, and ever since the Jan. 7, 2015 attack, Charlie Hebdo has received such threats. But in an interview published Tuesday in Le Figaro, the magazine's editor-in-chief Laurent "Riss' Sourisseau notes that "for this cover, the number is higher than usual." The Paris prosecutor's office opened an investigation Monday.

So what's the spark for such virulence? Another depiction of Islamic prophet Mohammed? Er, hardly. In its edition last Wednesday, Charlie Hebdo depicted the Swiss-born scholar Tariq Ramadan with a huge erection (perhaps an ode of sorts to an old drawing of disgraced former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn) saying, "I am the sixth pillar of Islam!" under the caption: "Rape: Tariq Ramadan's defense."

In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, Ramadan has been accused in France of rape by two women, while in Switzerland, the daily La Tribune de Genève reported new allegations that he sexually harassed at least four former underage students, sometimes coercing them into having sexual intercourse with him. The 55-year-old has vigorously denied the accusations as a "campaign of lies launched by my adversaries."

Also a professor at the University of Oxford, Ramadan is a controversial figure in France, where he's perceived by critics across the political spectrum as a representative for conservative Islam and soft Islamism. His grandfather, Hassan al-Banna was the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and his father, Said Ramadan played a prominent role in the organization there until he was exiled by then president Nasser, and fled to Switzerland — where Tariq was born. His brother, Hani Ramadan, is banned from entering French territory and openly defended the use of stoning against women.

An attack against Islam? In fact, against Ramadan.

The stakes in this particular sexual assault controversy, in other words, are high. But does this make Charlie Hebdo"s drawing an attack against Islam? Was its no less perverse cover of Weinstein two weeks ago an attack against movies? Hardly, again.

Laurent Joffrin, editor-in-chief at Libération, the French daily that housed the satirical newspaper's staff after the 2015 attack, summed it up in an editorial Monday: "An attack against Islam? In fact, against Ramadan, mocked as a Tartuffe with a big d***, who contradicts the very principles he is supposed to teach, and which are not, as it happens, targeted by Charlie. But subtlety is not the bigots' strongest suit ..."

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
Society

A Mother In Spain Denied Child Custody Because She Lives In Rural Area

A court in Spain usurps custody of the one-year-old boy living with his mother in the "deep" part of the Galicia region, forced to instead live with his father in the southern city of Marbella, which the judge says is "cosmopolitan" with good schools and medical care. Women's rights groups have taken up the mother's case.

A child in Galician countryside

Laure Gautherin

A Spanish court has ordered the withdrawal of a mother's custody of her one-year-old boy because she is living in the countryside in northwestern Spain, where the judge says the child won't have "opportunities for the proper development of his personality."

The case, reported Monday in La Voz de Galicia, has sparked outrage from a women's rights association but has also set off reactions from politicians of different stripes across the province of Galicia, defending the values of rural life.


Judge María Belén Ureña Carazo, of the family court of Marbella, a city on the southern coast of 141,000 people, has ordered the toddler to stay with father who lives in the city rather than with his mother because she was living in "deep Galicia" where the child would lack opportunities to "grow up in a happy environment."

Front page of La Voz de Galicia - October 25, 2021

Front page of La Voz de Galicia - Monday 25 October, 2021

La Voz de Galicia

Better in a "cosmopolitan" city?


The judge said Marbella, where the father lives, was a "cosmopolitan city" with "a good hospital" as well as "all kinds of schools" and thus provided a better environment for the child to thrive.

The mother has submitted a formal complaint to the General Council of the Judiciary that the family court magistrate had acted with "absolute contempt," her lawyer told La Voz de Galicia.

The mother quickly accumulated support from local politicians and civic organizations. The Clara Campoamor association described the judge's arguments as offensive, intolerable and typical of "an ignorant person who has not traveled much."

The Xunta de Galicia, the regional government, has addressed the case, saying that any place in Galicia meets the conditions to educate a minor. The Socialist party politician Pablo Arangüena tweeted that "it would not hurt part of the judiciary to spend a summer in Galicia."

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
THE LATEST
FOCUS
TRENDING TOPICS
MOST READ