Geopolitics

Suicide Bomber Targets Foreigners In Kabul As NATO Suspends Joint Operations In Afghanistan

CNN (USA), AL JAZEERA (Qatar), BBC NEWS (UK)

Worldcrunch

KABUL - Up to 12 people are reported to have been killed in a suicide bomb attack, which struck a bus near the Afghan capital, report BBC News.

A 22-year-woman is believed to have driven a car filled with 300 kg of explosives into a mini bus on a road leading to the Kabul International Airport.

According to Al Jazeera, nine of them were foreign workers for an international courier company, and one was an Afghan translator. Eleven people were wounded in the attack, the interior ministry said.

Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin, a group allied with the Taliban, claimed responsibility for the blast meant to avenge the controversial anti-Islam film, which has sparked furor in the Muslim world.

Meanwhile, NATO troops in Afghanistan have been ordered to halt some joint operations with Afghan security forces following a string of so called “green-on-blue” deadly attacks, reports CNN.

Joint operations will now only be conducted routinely at battalion level - large operations involving several hundred troops.

More than 50 coalition troops have been killed since January in 36 attacks where Afghan security troops have turned their guns on allied soldiers.

According to BBC News, a fifth of UK soldiers killed this year in Afghanistan were killed not by insurgents, but by Afghan soldiers or police.

Over the weekend, four Americans and two British troops were shot dead by suspected Afghan police.

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
File:Parsin Gas and CNG Station in Karaj-Qazvin Freeway, Iran ...

Gas stations in many Iranian cities had trouble supplying fuel earlier in the week in what was a suspected cyberattack on the fuel distribution system. One Tehran daily on Thursday blamed Israel, which may have carried out similar acts in past years, to weaken Iran's hostile regime.

The incident reportedly disrupted the credit and debit card payments system this time, forcing users to pay cash and higher prices, the London-based broadcaster Iran International reported.


Though state officials didn't publicly accuse anyone specific, they did say perhaps this and other attacks had been planned for October, to "anger people" on the anniversary of the anti-government protests of 2019.

Khamenei, where's our gas?

Cheeky slogans were spotted Tuesday in different places in Iran, including electronic panels over motorways. One of them read "Khamenei, where's our gas?"


Iran International reported that Tehran-based news agency ISNA posted, then deleted, a report on drivers also seeing the message "cyberattack 64411" on screens at gas stations, purported to be the telephone number of the office of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

A member of parliament's National Security Committee, Vahid Jalalzadeh, said the attack had been planned months ahead, and had inflicted "grave losses," Iran International and domestic agencies reported Thursday. The conservative Tehran newspaper Kayhan named "America, the Zionist regime and their goons" as the "chief suspects" in the attack.

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
THE LATEST
FOCUS
TRENDING TOPICS
MOST READ