When the world gets closer.

We help you see farther.

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter.

Enjoy unlimited access to quality journalism.

Limited time offer

Get your 30-day free trial!

20 MINUTES, LE MONDE, LE FIGARO (France), REUTERS

Worldcrunch

PARIS – French President François Hollande has condemned a car bomb attack that hit France's embassy in Libya’s capital Tripoli early Tuesday, injuring two French guards.

"France expects the Libyan authorities to shed light on this unacceptable act so that the perpetrators are identified and brought to justice," Hollande said in an official statement quoted by 20 Minutes.

The explosion, caused by one or two booby-trapped cars according to Le Monde, left the French embassy badly damaged. A diplomatic source quoted by French daily Le Figaro says up to 60% of the building was destroyed.

A member of staff from #french#embassy arriving to asses damage and attend to wounded personnel #tripoli#libyatwitter.com/Eh4b10/status/…

— Ehab ايهاب (@Eh4b10) April 23, 2013

This is the first attack on a French target since the end of the 2011 war that ousted Muammar Gaddafi, in which France took the lead role.

No one has yet claimed responsability for the bombing, but Reuters notes that al Qaeda's north African arm AQIM has warned of retaliation for France's intervention in Mali – while Le Monde mentions France’s involvment in the crackdown against militias in Tripoli as a potential reason for the attack.

Scene at st of #french#embassy before firefighters arrived to put out the flames, only 1 eye witness #libyatwitter.com/Eh4b10/status/…

— Ehab ايهاب (@Eh4b10) April 23, 2013

In September, an attack against the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi in eastern Libya killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

War In Ukraine, Day 280: Massive New 600 Billion Euro Estimate Of War Damage, EU Says Russia Will Pay

Ukrainian flag flies on the pole near the ruins of an apartment building destroyed by Russian troops in Kyiv

Anna Akage, Shaun Lavelle and Emma Albright

The European Union is committed to setting up a special court with the backing of the UN to investigate and prosecute Russian war crimes in Ukraine, and force Russia and its oligarchs to pay the growing pricetag for the destruction of the country.

Stay up-to-date with the latest on the Russia-Ukraine war, with our exclusive international coverage.

Sign up to our free daily newsletter.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen promised in a video statement that “Russia’s horrific crimes will not go unpunished.” She said that it was estimated so far that 20,000 Ukrainian civilians and 100,000 Ukrainian military officers had been killed so far.

Keep reading...Show less

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

The latest