Hürriyet, June 29
"We Curse You," read Wednesday morning's front-page headline of Turkish daily Hürriyet, after a terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport killed dozens.
The latest toll stood at 36 people killed and 147 wounded after the Tuesday night attack, reportedly carried out by three suicide bombers. Hürriyet reports that one of the terrorists blew himself up outside the international arrivals terminal, while the other two attackers took advantage of the ensuing chaos to open up fire inside the terminal, before blowing themselves up as well.
Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said that they knew which terrorist organization was responsible of the attack based on the early signs, but that they still needed to confirm. Turkish media was reporting that authorities believe the Islamic terror group ISIS carried out the assault. It is the latest in a series of terrorist attacks in Turkey, some of which have been perpetrated by ISIS, and others by the Kurdish PKK organization.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the attackers. â€œI hope that this attack will be a turning point, a milestone for the joint fight against terrorist organizations, especially in Western countries and all over the world,â€ he said.
Istanbul Ataturk Airport, one of the busiest in the world, was closed immediately after the attacks for several hours, and flights were diverted to other cities. The customs control reopened Wednesday morning, and the airport is back in business ever since.
Gas stations in many Iranian cities had trouble supplying fuel earlier in the week in what was a suspected cyberattack on the fuel distribution system. One Tehran daily on Thursday blamed Israel, which may have carried out similar acts in past years, to weaken Iran's hostile regime.
The incident reportedly disrupted the credit and debit card payments system this time, forcing users to pay cash and higher prices, the London-based broadcaster Iran International reported.
Though state officials didn't publicly accuse anyone specific, they did say perhaps this and other attacks had been planned for October, to "anger people" on the anniversary of the anti-government protests of 2019.
Khamenei, where's our gas?
Cheeky slogans were spotted Tuesday in different places in Iran, including electronic panels over motorways. One of them read "Khamenei, where's our gas?"
Iran International reported that Tehran-based news agency ISNA posted, then deleted, a report on drivers also seeing the message "cyberattack 64411" on screens at gas stations, purported to be the telephone number of the office of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
A member of parliament's National Security Committee, Vahid Jalalzadeh, said the attack had been planned months ahead, and had inflicted "grave losses," Iran International and domestic agencies reported Thursday. The conservative Tehran newspaper Kayhan named "America, the Zionist regime and their goons" as the "chief suspects" in the attack.
- Iran-Azerbaijan Tensions: How Khamenei Overplayed Islamic Ties ... ›
- After Arab-Israeli Deal, Iran Must Face Its Own Isolation - Worldcrunch ›
- Is Iran Behind The Outbreak Of Israeli-Palestinian Violence ... ›