BEIJING — Authorities have carried out a series of raids on beauty salons in the Chinese capital in an effort to crack down on counterfeit Botox, The Beijing News reports.
Botox is popular in China, where many young women aspire to have a thin V-shape face. But the high price of injections, which require regular follow-up sessions at clinics, has resulted in many women seeking black-market options that involve fake products, the article claims.
Counterfeit Botox is bought for up to 300 RMB ($45) and sold for many times that amount through aggressive social media promotion, online chat platforms and word-of-mouth. The injections are done in beauty parlors, rented apartments or hotel rooms. A Botox session takes only a few minutes, and is often referred to as the "lunch break cosmetic" in China,
"The black market is almost out of control," Dr. Wang Zhongjie, a member of Chinese Medical Association, told the news outlet.
Unqualified beauticians carry out the injections. "It may be injected into a blood vessel by these people without professional medical training," said Xiu Zhifu, a plastic surgeon.
Vanity, it would seem, has no limits.
[*Zdraveite - Bulgarian]
🌎 7 THINGS TO KNOW RIGHT NOW
🗞️ FRONT PAGE
#️⃣ BY THE NUMBERS
📰 STORY OF THE DAY
How Thailand's "Lèse-Majesté" law is used to stifle all protest
➡️ Read more on Worldcrunch.com
"Children are going to die. People are going to starve."
🕌 🔍 IN OTHER NEWS
Dutch cities have been secretly probing mosques since 2013
✍️ Newsletter by Anne-Sophie Goninet, Jane Herbelin and Bertrand Hauger
- Why Colombia Should Legalize Coca And Leave Cocaine To Others ... ›
- Colombia, How War Spreads 'Cultural Violence' Into Daily Life ... ›
- Putin's Shadow Army: Russian Mercenaries Enter African Wars ... ›
- Taiwan, Keeping Calm And Watching China - Worldcrunch ›
- In China, How People Are Pushing Back On Surveillance State ... ›
- Where Are The Doses? How U.S. And Europe Vaccine Pledges ... ›
- Hong Kong's International Food Scene Gets Political - Worldcrunch ›
- Reading Rumi In Kabul: A Persian Poet's Lesson For Radical Islam ... ›
- Art For All? You Can Now Own Micro-Parts Of Basquiat Or Banksy ... ›