REUTERS, AHRAMONLINE (EGYPT)
CAIRO – A car bomb attack that appeared to target Egypt's interior minister Thursday left at least two people dead, officials told the Egyptian website Ahramonline.
Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim survived the attack, in which police killed two of the assailants, according to Reuters, quoting security officials. At least 10 people had been injured in the blast, which the government is considering an assassination attempt.
The State-run Al-Ahram paper said the explosion took place near the Minister's residence in Nasr City district.
No information was given on who was involved, though Egyptian news sources noted that Nasr City is a stronghold of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood group that was pushed out of power in July by the current military-led government.