Geopolitics

Deadly Prison Fire Brings Chile Back To Reality After Triumphant Miners' Rescue

Blaze in overcrowded facility kills 81, marking unofficial end to national (and global) celebration of rescue of Chilean miners

No good news lately for Chilean President Sebastian Piñera (rt), who'd basked in October's rescue (Photo: Hugo Infante, govt of Chile)


EYES INSIDE - LATIN AMERICA


Just two months after Chile basked in the storybook rescue of 33 trapped Chileans miners, a deadly fire at an overcrowded Santiago prison has brought one of the country's harshest realities back into focus.

President Sebastián Piñera's government is now facing international pressure to ease overcrowding and allow human rights officials to investigate the conditions inside the country's penitentiaries after Wednesday's fire left 81 inmates dead, and 21 others injured.

Forensic experts say they have so far identified more than half of the inmates who were burned to death after the fire broke out at San Miguel prison in Santiago.

Authorities have had a difficult time in identifying the victims because they were so badly burned inside the cells where they were trapped. "We are going to keep on working non-stop, with shifts into the night, to identify all of the 81 who died," Justice Minister Felipe Bulnes was quoted in Santiago daily El Mercurio.

Amateur video footage from mobile phones that can be seen on Radio Cooperativa Santiago's website showed inmates waving and screaming from their prison cell windows to loved ones who were gathered outside the smoking facility as firefighters and prison officials worked to contain the blaze. With a capacity for 1,000 inmates, there were reportedly 1,900 prisoners inside San Miguel the morning of the fire.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay asked the Piñera government to give experts "carte blanche" to go inside the prisons to inspect conditions. "After this tragedy, our priority is to ensure that the government investigate not just this one but all the prisons in Chile," Pillay said at a news conference in Geneva on Thursday.

Chile's prisons have poor sanitation and ventilation and sometimes lack potable water. Miguel Vivanco, Americas director at Human Rights Watch, said that incident at San Miguel was the result of two longstanding problems in Chile's prison system – overcrowding and poor conditions. "It is critically important for the Chilean government to make overhauling the prison system a priority," he said.

Just hours after the tragedy, President Piñera acknowledged that conditions inside Chile's prison are "inhumane." and pledged to focus on improving the facilities.

Alejandro Peña, a prosecutor who is leading the investigation, said that survivors reported that a number of fights had broken out between inmates before the fire began at around 5:45am. According to El Mercurio, there were only four prison guards on duty that morning, which made it difficult for them to break up the fights before the blaze was started. Security officials have reportedly always complained about a lack of personnel. When night falls, the inmates are locked inside their overcrowded cells and stay there until the next day; and if there are any incidents, it is difficult for guards to intervene.

According to witnesses, the fire was started when an inmate identified as "el aguja" (the needle) wanted to settle a score with a rival group of prisoners using a crude flame-thrower made from a plastic tube and a gas-filled ball. The flames reached the inmates' mattresses and within three minutes the blaze spread uncontrollably, authorities say.

Wednesday's tragedy has cast a negative image on the Piñera administration, which in October was globally applauded for leading a heroic rescue of the 33 miners who had been trapped for 70 days inside a collapsed mine in northern Chile. After that incident, Piñera also announced immediate reforms to the mining industry, including introducing stricter safety regulations.

Radio Cooperativa reported that the families of some the dead inmates announced that they will be presenting a lawsuit on Friday against the government. "Why didn't they rescue my son," said a sobbing Eloísa Miranda, whose son was serving a five-year sentence at San Miguel. "The only thing I ask is for pity for me, my granddaughter and my daughter-in-law. We are all alone."

Martin Delfín

Worldcrunch

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
Society

A Mother In Spain Denied Child Custody Because She Lives In Rural Area

A court in Spain usurps custody of the one-year-old boy living with his mother in the "deep" part of the Galicia region, forced to instead live with his father in the southern city of Marbella, which the judge says is "cosmopolitan" with good schools and medical care. Women's rights groups have taken up the mother's case.

A child in Galician countryside

Laure Gautherin

A Spanish court has ordered the withdrawal of a mother's custody of her one-year-old boy because she is living in the countryside in northwestern Spain, where the judge says the child won't have "opportunities for the proper development of his personality."

The case, reported Monday in La Voz de Galicia, has sparked outrage from a women's rights association but has also set off reactions from politicians of different stripes across the province of Galicia, defending the values of rural life.


Judge María Belén Ureña Carazo, of the family court of Marbella, a city on the southern coast of 141,000 people, has ordered the toddler to stay with father who lives in the city rather than with his mother because she was living in "deep Galicia" where the child would lack opportunities to "grow up in a happy environment."

Front page of La Voz de Galicia - October 25, 2021

Front page of La Voz de Galicia - Monday 25 October, 2021

La Voz de Galicia

Better in a "cosmopolitan" city?


The judge said Marbella, where the father lives, was a "cosmopolitan city" with "a good hospital" as well as "all kinds of schools" and thus provided a better environment for the child to thrive.

The mother has submitted a formal complaint to the General Council of the Judiciary that the family court magistrate had acted with "absolute contempt," her lawyer told La Voz de Galicia.

The mother quickly accumulated support from local politicians and civic organizations. The Clara Campoamor association described the judge's arguments as offensive, intolerable and typical of "an ignorant person who has not traveled much."

The Xunta de Galicia, the regional government, has addressed the case, saying that any place in Galicia meets the conditions to educate a minor. The Socialist party politician Pablo Arangüena tweeted that "it would not hurt part of the judiciary to spend a summer in Galicia."

Keep up with the world. Break out of the bubble.
Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter!
THE LATEST
FOCUS
TRENDING TOPICS
MOST READ