When the world gets closer.

We help you see farther.

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter.

Already a subscriber? Log in .

You've reached your limit of one free article.

Get unlimited access to Worldcrunch

You can cancel anytime .

SUBSCRIBERS BENEFITS

Exclusive International news coverage

Ad-free experience NEW

Weekly digital Magazine NEW

9 daily & weekly Newsletters

Access to Worldcrunch archives

Free trial

30-days free access, then $2.90
per month.

Annual Access BEST VALUE

$19.90 per year, save $14.90 compared to monthly billing. save $14.90.

Subscribe to Worldcrunch
Nigeria

Boko Haram Raid Kills 55 In Nigeria

NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (Nigeria), BBC WORLD NEWS (UK), REUTERS

Worldcrunch

BAMA – Suspected members of the Islamist sect Boko Haram have killed 55 people during a raid on the Nigerian town of Bama, the military reported Wednesday.

Around 200 armed members of the rebel group laid siege on this remote town in a predawn raid Tuesday, and attacked official buildings, including the police station, army barracks and the prison, military spokesman Sagir Musa told Reuters .

During this five-hour raid, the gunmen freed 105 prisoners and killed 55 people, in what is described by Reuters as one of the rebels’ most deadly attacks since 2009.

Among the 55 people killed during the attack were 22 police officers and 14 prison officials. According the police commander in Bama “three children and a woman were also burnt to death,” and 13 members of Boko Haram died, the Nigerian Tribune reports.

The Boko Haram sect is known to be based in this north-eastern region of Nigeria called Borno state, and their attacks often happen in this area. They seek to overthrow the government and implement an Islamic state, the BBC explains.

Last month the Nigerian military launched a raid to hunt down militants in Borno state, after Boko Haram militants attacked a military patrol, the BBC adds. The army was accused of using excessive force as 200 people died and thousands of buildings were destroyed.

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

Society

Murder Of Giulia Cecchetin: Why Italy Is Finally Saying 'Basta' To Violence Against Women

Cecchettin was allegedly stabbed to death by her ex-boyfriend in northern Italy, a murder case that has quickly turned into a political movement. The supposed motive is chilling in what it says about the current state of male-dominated society.

November 25, Messina, Italy: The feminist movement Non Una di Meno (Not One Less) gathered in Messina in the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.

Valeria Ferraro/ ZUMA
Annalisa Camilli

Updated Nov. 27, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.

-Analysis-

ROME — On November 11, Giulia Cecchettin and her ex-boyfriend Filippo Turetta went missing after meeting for dinner. For a week, Italians followed the case in hopes that the story would end with two lovers returning home after going on an adventure — but women knew better.

As the days went by, more details of their relationship started to come to light. Filippo had been a jealous, possessive boyfriend, he had not dealt with Giulia's decision to break up very well, and he constantly hounded her to get back together.

For the latest news & views from every corner of the world, Worldcrunch Today is the only truly international newsletter. Sign up here .

When Giulia's body was found at the bottom of a lake in the northern region of Veneto, with 20 stab wounds, Italians were not surprised, but they were fed up. Vigils, demonstrations and protests spread throughout the country: Giulia Cecchettin's death, Italy's 105th case of femicide for the year 2023, finally opened a breach of pain and anger into public opinion. But why this case, why now?

It was Elena Cecchettin, Giulia's sister, who played a vital role. At the end of a torchlight procession, the 24-year-old university student took the floor and did something people weren't expecting: she turned private grief into a political movement. Elena distanced herself from the role of the victim and took on the responsibility for a future change.

"Filippo is not a monster; a monster is an exception, someone external to society, someone society should not take responsibility for. But here that responsibility exists," she said confidently, leaving everyone breathless.

Keep reading... Show less

The latest