When the world gets closer.

We help you see farther.

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter.

food / travel

South Korean Father And Twins Robbed On Brazil Beach After TV Appearance

FOLHA DE S. PAULO (Brazil)

Worldcrunch

SÃO VICENTE - With his twin five-year-old sons in tow, South Korean university professor Kim Haeng-Chang has been to Thailand, India, Turkey, Croatia, Germany and Senegal. Part of the months-long journey is done on a bike that tows a small wooden wagon adorned with a sign that reads: “Your help makes our world tour."

On October 8, Kim and his boys arrived in Brazil for what would turn out to be the most eventful leg of their trip. After the adventurous father-and-sons story was shown on Brazilian TV, three men, one of them holding a gun, robbed them while they camped on a beach. The assailants made off with $600 and all the family's documents—passports included.

"I had been robbed before in other trips just by myself, in Nigeria, for example. But this is the first time my passport was taken,", says Kim, 48.

After being robbed, he was helped by the locals and went to the police station. There he met a flight instructor named Sérgio de Carvalho, 39, who had also been recently robbed. "I realized I had to help him” says Carvalho, who found a place for the Kims at a friends's home.

Now the whole neighborhood is curious to meet Kim and his sons, who will have to wait at least two weeks until new passports are issued. One of the first questions is always about Kim's wife (and the boys' mother). She didn't join the voyage, staying back in South Korea with the couple's baby daughter.

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

FOCUS: Russia-Ukraine War

A Decisive Spring? How Ukraine Plans To Beat Back Putin's Coming Offensive

The next months will be decisive in the war between Moscow and Kyiv. From the forests of Polesia to Chernihiv and the Black Sea, Ukraine is looking to protect the areas that may soon be the theater of Moscow's announced offensive. Will this be the last Russian Spring?

Photo of three ​Ukrainian soldiers in trenches near Bakhmut, Ukraine

Ukrainian soldiers in trenches near Bakhmut, Ukraine

Anna Akage

Ukrainian forces are digging new fortifications and preparing battle plans along the entire frontline as spring, and a probable new Russian advance, nears.

But this may be the last spring for occupying Russian forces.

"Spring and early summer will be decisive in the war. If the great Russian offensive planned for this time fails, it will be the downfall of Russia and Putin," said Vadym Skibitsky, the deputy head of Ukrainian military intelligence.

Stay up-to-date with the latest on the Russia-Ukraine war, with our exclusive international coverage.

Sign up to our free daily newsletter.

Skinitysky added that Ukraine believes Russia is planning a new offensive in the spring or early summer. The Institute for the Study of War thinks that such an offensive is more likely to come from the occupied territories of Luhansk and Donetsk than from Belarus, as some have feared.

Still, the possibility of an attack by Belarus should not be dismissed entirely — all the more so because, in recent weeks, a flurry of MiG fighter jet activity in Belarusian airspace has prompted a number of air raid alarms throughout Ukraine.

Keep reading...Show less

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

The latest