When the world gets closer.

We help you see farther.

Sign up to our expressly international daily newsletter.

Already a subscriber? Log in .

You've reached your limit of one free article.

Get unlimited access to Worldcrunch

You can cancel anytime .


Exclusive International news coverage

Ad-free experience NEW

Weekly digital Magazine NEW

9 daily & weekly Newsletters

Access to Worldcrunch archives

Free trial

30-days free access, then $2.90
per month.

Annual Access BEST VALUE

$19.90 per year, save $14.90 compared to monthly billing.save $14.90.

Subscribe to Worldcrunch
FOCUS: Russia-Ukraine War

Black Sea, Overboard — How A Ukrainian Special Agent Faced Down Death In Enemy Waters

This is a tale of a Ukrainian special forces operator who wound up surviving 14 hours at sea, staying afloat and dodging Russian air and sea patrols.

photo of open sea with a ship in the distance

The darkness of the Black Sea - something in the distance?

Antonio Sempere/Contacto via ZUMA
Rustem Khalilov and Roksana Kasumova

Updated Oct. 5, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.

KYIV — During a covert operation in the Black Sea, a Ukrainian special agent was thrown overboard and spent the next 14 hours alone at sea, surrounded by enemy forces.

Stay up-to-date with the latest on the Russia-Ukraine war, with our exclusive international coverage.

Sign up to our free daily newsletter.

The agent, who uses the call-sign "Conan," agreed to speak to Ukrainska Pravda, to share the details of nearly being lost forever at sea. He also shared some background on how he arrived in the Ukrainian special forces. Having grown up in a village in a rural territory of Ukraine, Conan describes himself as "a simple guy."

He'd worked in law enforcement, personal security and had a job as a fitness trainer when Russia launched its full-scale invasion on Feb. 24, 2022. That's when he signed up with the Ukrainian Armed Forces, Main Directorate of Intelligence "Artan" battalion. It was nearly 18 months into his service, when Conan faced the most harrowing experience of the war.

Here's his first-hand account...

Lost at sea

In mid-August, we carried out a special operation in the Black Sea. Around 8:30 (p.m.), our boat came under fire from a Russian Su-24 bomber, which is something you see all the time when patrolling the sea. We maneuvered and fired on the enemy plane, forcing it to retreat to the nearest airfield.

We headed back to base at around 5 the next morning. About 30 kilometers (18.6 miles) from our initial battle site, the Russian air team returned, and once again, an enemy plane began firing 30-caliber bullets from an automatic cannon.

We retaliated, but our team had already used most of our ammunition.

Our saving grace was having an exceptional skipper who skillfully navigated us out of the danger zone. However, during one of the extreme maneuvers, I was tossed overboard. I found myself around 130 kilometers from the shore, with no way to call for help.

Panic, fear and sadness

My initial emotion was absolute panic. Stranded at a huge distance from the shore with only the dark ocean beneath me, I was taken over by fear.

I fixated on my only reference point in the distance — the constant flame of one of the gas production towers, visible both day and night, approximately 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from where I had entered the water.

I understood that I had to collect my thoughts and adapt to the grim likelihood that no rescue would arrive anytime soon. Enemy planes continued to patrol the skies above, making any approach by a rescue boat impossible. To them, I was a tiny target, and they remained determined to keep vessels away from me.

And so, I began to swim toward that burning tower. The current was strong, but I couldn’t stop swimming not even for a moment.

And so, I swam. All I could think about was trying to survive.

"Around 8:30 (p.m.), our boat came under fire from a Russian Su-24 bomber."


Bad thoughts and hallucinations

My thoughts wandered, I must admit. I told myself that it was possible that nobody was searching for me, as I saw no signs of a rescue party. Or maybe they were looking, but had no way to locate me. I held onto the hope that my comrades were seeking me out and knew that my commanding officer, Viktor Viktorovych Torkotyuk, would leave no stone unturned to secure my rescue.

And I kept on swimming, all while contemplating life and family. I thought about my son, who would soon celebrate his first birthday, and I knew I might not ever see him again.

I was found, and I would live!

I could feel I was getting dehydrated and more and more tired, and even began to hallucinate. I would see a boat ahead, but then realize it was the same tower. Somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock in the afternoon, I finally reached the tower.

Approaching it too closely wasn't possible due to the intense heat and noise from the burning gas; it sounded like an enemy aircraft overhead. Because of the current, I found myself repeatedly carried away from the tower. This happened several times, forcing me to swim back toward the tower.

You might wonder what's a mere 400 meters? But after swimming for over 10 hours, I was out of strength, and total exhaustion finally overtook me when I was pushed away by the currents for the fourth time. I turned onto my back and fell asleep.

A vessel in the distance

When I awoke, the current had once again put huge distance between me and the tower, forcing me to try to swim back to it. As it started getting dark, I decided I should remove my life vest, and though it was increasingly unlikely that the search party would be able to locate me.

At a certain point, I felt something clawing at my leg. I turned to find a seagull perched on me, with several more circling overhead. It was then that a vessel appeared on the horizon.

It could have been the search party, but it was just as likely an enemy ship, exploiting the cover of aviation to venture into the open sea in pursuit of us?

Seeing the flag

Suddenly, an enemy plane swooped down, firing multiple rounds at the ship approaching me, which then veered in the opposite direction. Knowing now it was probably a Ukrainian vessel gave me new determination: someone nearby was actively searching for me. I pushed on.

As I finally got closer, I could see that it was a small boat — and I spotted the Ukrainian flag. I cannot describe the joy that surged through me in that moment.

On land, the first thing I did was to send a message to my wife.

That was it – I was found, and I would live!

Upon being hoisted onboard, I rushed to embrace my rescuers. The doctor on board had me remove my vest and wetsuit, and I was swiftly wrapped in a thermal blanket, and intravenous drips were administered. My temperature was 35.5 degrees Celsius, which the doctor said was linked to severe dehydration.

The soldier was eventually rescued by a Ukrainian vessel.

Conan/Ukrainska Pravda

Dry ground

The danger though wasn't over. We needed to make a successful retreat to safe territory.

We steered towards a second tower, one closer to the mainland. As we moved behind it, an enemy plane reappeared in the sky. We took cover, waiting for an opportunity. It fired a guided missile at Snake Island. Once the sky cleared, we resumed our course.

It was around midnight when I finally set foot on solid ground, able to step off the boat unassisted.

Thanks to the intravenous drips, my strength gradually returned, and my temperature rose. The doctor told me to sip water in small amounts. On land, the first thing I did was to send a message to my wife. We hadn't been in touch for awhile. I reassured her that everything was fine, that I was in good health. It was only later that I told her the whole story.

You've reached your limit of free articles.

To read the full story, start your free trial today.

Get unlimited access. Cancel anytime.

Exclusive coverage from the world's top sources, in English for the first time.

Insights from the widest range of perspectives, languages and countries.

FOCUS: Israel-Palestine War

Bibi Blinked: How The Ceasefire Deal Could Flip Israel's Whole Gaza War Logic

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pushed ahead a deal negotiated via Qatar, for a four-day truce and an exchange of 50 hostages for 150 Palestinian prisoners. Though the humanitarian and political pressure was mounting, Israel's all-out assault is suddenly halted, with unforeseen consequences for the future.

photo of someone holding a poster of a hostage

Families of Israeli hostages rally in Jerusalem

Nir Alon/ZUMA
Pierre Haski

Updated Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:55 p.m.


PARIS — It's the first piece of good news in 46 days of war. In the early hours of Wednesday, Israel agreed to a deal that included a four-day ceasefire and the release of some of the hostages held by Hamas — 30 children and 20 women — in exchange for 150 Palestinian prisoners, again women and children. The real question is what happens next.

For the latest news & views from every corner of the world, Worldcrunch Today is the only truly international newsletter. Sign up here.

But first, this agreement, negotiated through the intermediary of Qatar, whose role is essential in this phase, must be implemented right away. This is a complex negotiation, because unlike the previous hostage-for-prisoner exchanges, it is taking place in the midst of a major war.

On the Palestinian side, although Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh is present in Doha, he does not make the decision alone — he must have the agreement of the leaders of the military wing, who are hiding somewhere in Gaza. It takes 24 hours to send a message back and forth. As you can imagine, it's not as simple as a phone call.

And on the Israeli side, a consensus had to be built around the agreement. Benjamin Netanyahu's far-right allies were opposed to the deal — in line with their eradication logic — even at the cost of Israeli lives. But the opposition of these discredited parties was ignored, and that will leave its mark.

Keep reading...Show less

The latest