Egypt prosecutes 75 over soccer disaster
Egypt's prosecutor general has referred 75 people to criminal court in connection with soccer riots last month that left over 70 people dead.
(AFP) Cairo - The defendants include nine members of the police and three officials from the Al-Masry soccer club. Two minors will be sent to a children's court, the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
On February 1, clashes in the northern city of Port Said between fans of home team Al-Masry and Cairo's Al-Ahly, erupted at the final whistle of the match.
Al-Masry fans invaded the pitch after their team beat the visitors 3-1, throwing rocks, bottles and fireworks at Al-Ahly supporters, causing chaos and panic as players and fans fled in all directions.