Like the rest of the Internet, we too at Zoo’d have become momentarily obsessed with that video of the cat running into a French bakery’s glass door. If you haven’t seen it yet, here it is just below. If you’re like us, you’ll probably watch it again… and then three more times after that. Meowch!!
But while you sink into that viral auto-replay gaze, some questions may start to gnaw at you amidst the pleasant French female voiceover, punctuated by a certain small-town feline thud...
First, you must know that the footage aired on M6, one of France’s major TV networks, on the show La Meilleure boulangerie, which travels the country looking for the best bakery. And the clip in question from the quaint southwestern town of Figeac has everything that would make it sound like a run-of-the-mill transition from one television segment to another. The voiceover says: “What kind of surprise awaits our jury in the second boulangerie?” A pause of faux suspense, which this time actually delivers: Quelle surprise, indeed!
So here are the questions that began to occur to us...
1. Why was the glass door open? French bakeries obsessively keep their doors closed, and obviously this neighborhood cat never saw it coming.
2. Why is this sweet French kitty running in the first place? Sure, cats sometimes just run. But often they are running away from something or someone? A German shepherd from across the border? A grumpy TV crew member trying to clear the streets for the closing shot?
3. (This question is the one that spawns infinite others..) Why is the moment not edited out? Indeed, knowing the accompanying script, and hearing the crash with such painful clarity, seems to make it clear that it was indeed edited in.
4. Is this all a set up? Someone at M6 is either a social media genius or a cruel sadist…though one hardly excludes the other.
5. Please...some news on the cat's condition!?